Jan 7, 2013 5:55 PM by MTN News - Billings

Billings police identify burglary suspect shot while trying to escape

BILLINGS - The man killed after a standoff and shooting incident in Billings on Sunday has been identified as 29-year old Daniel Brawley.

His wife, 25-year old Heather Brawley, is charged with burglary and has been booked into the county detention center.

Billings Police Chief Rich St. John says Brawley died after being shot by an officer while he was trying to escape from police in a stolen police cruiser on Miles Avenue, an incident which followed a three-hour standoff on Sunday.

Police initially responded to 807 Miles Avenue for reports of a burglary in progress.

St. John said that when officers arrived at the scene, officers saw Brawley try to flee the house, and then re-enter upon noticing the presence of the officers.

Brawley was killed by single bullet wound to the torso.

(January 6, 2013) The Sunday standoff in Billings which resulted in the shooting death of a suspect and a police officer being injured began as a robbery.

According to Billings Police Chief Rich St. John, officers were dispatched to 807 Miles Avenue, where a friend of that home owner was checking the property because the owner was on vacation.

The friend then called police when he noticed an unknown man in the home, and officers responded shortly before 9:30 a.m.

When officers arrived they noticed the suspect try to escape, but upon seeing the officers he retreated back inside the home.

Chief St. John says that officers then entered the home, but quickly retreated: "Officers saw rifle and shotgun ammunition laying on the ground. They feared that an ambush was awaiting them and so they backed out."

St. John says police negotiators were then called, and after three hours of negotiations - which St. John called "textbook"- a man and a woman emerged from the home, giving themselves up willingly.

But that's when things turned tragic, as the 29-year-old male suspect attempted to escape police by stealing a police cruiser.

The suspect, handcuffed in the back of a police car, managed to reach the front seat, where he then put the car into gear and reversed.

After backing into a tree, the suspect then floored the vehicle forward, striking Officer Dave Punt.

Allegedly nine shots rang from Officer Punt's gun.

The suspect swerved and struck two vehicles, coming to a stop at the intersection of Miles Avenue and 9th Street West.

Medical crews performed CPR on the man, and then transported him to hospital.

Authorities have not yet said if if the suspect died at the scene scene or at the hospital.

The names of the suspect killed and the woman arrested have not yet been released.

As part of standard protocol whenever there is an officer-involved shooting, a coroner's inquest will be conducted.

  • Story Photo
  • Story Photo
  • Story Thumbnail
  • Story Thumbnail