Crime & Courts

Feb 11, 2013 6:01 PM by US Attorney's Office

Reynolds sentenced in Great Falls on meth charge

Linda Reynolds, a 63-year-old resident of Great Falls, was sentenced in federal court in Great Falls on Monday to 262 months (21.8 years) in prison and five years of supervised release after being found guilty of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute methamphetamine.

A press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office states:

In an Offer of Proof filed by Assistant U.S. Attorney Jessica Betley, the government stated it would have proved at trial the following:

In July 2012, detectives from the Great Falls Police Department became alerted to a potential methamphetamine distribution ring in Great Falls.

Detectives believed the methamphetamine was being brought to Montana from somewhere near Spokane, Washington.

On September 6, 2012, police received information from an anonymous caller, who stated Reynolds was dealing methamphetamine out of her apartment in Great Falls. The caller had purchased methamphetamine a few times from Reynolds in half-gram quantities. Police also spoke to additional witnesses who stated they received their methamphetamine supply from Reynolds.

Based on this information, police executed a search warrant at Reynolds' apartment that same day. Reynolds agreed to speak with police. She said there were drugs in the back bedroom and she currently possessed two ounces of methamphetamine. Reynolds explained she began dealing methamphetamine in July and she received her supply of methamphetamine from Joe and Ann Wetzel. She stated she received one ounce in July, an additional ounce in late August, and had just received the two ounces she had in her possession. Reynolds received methamphetamine from Mark Knesss.

According to Reynolds, Kness brought his drug dealer, Louis Kanyid, to Reynolds' apartment in the winter of 2012. Kanyid regularly went by "Washington" in Great Falls, because he traveled from the state of Washington. Reynolds observed methamphetamine deals between Kness and Kanyid, and Kness would brag about how the methamphetamine was of great quality.

Sometime in July 2012, Reynolds heard Kanyid was back in Great Falls. Reynolds told police that she then contacted Joe and Ann Wetzel directly to get methamphetamine. Joe and Ann Wetzel had told Reynolds they were directly supplied by Kanyid. Reynolds paid Joe and Ann Wetzel $1,700 per ounce of methamphetamine. She then resold the methamphetamine for $3,700 per ounce and paid the Wetzels $1,000 for facilitating the deal.

Law enforcement seized over 50 grams of actual (pure) methamphetamine in their investigation.

Kanyid, Kness, Joe and Ann Wetzel pled guilty to federal charges.