Crime & Courts

Nov 22, 2012 3:00 PM by Dax Van Fossen

Teen suspect in fatal Arlee stabbing enters not guilty plea

POLSON - Nathan Butler, the 16-year old charged in a fatal Arlee stabbing, pleaded not guilty on Wednesday to three felony charges, including murder, during a court appearance in Lake County District Court.

Butler was officially arraigned on three felony counts, including deliberate homicide, attempted deliberate homicide, and assault with a weapon.

The teen has retained the counsel of Kalispell attorney Noel Larivee, and pleaded not guilty to all three charges.

Larivee addressed several motions that his office has filed, including a request for two separate psychological evaluations, a motion to stop the state from interviewing Butler without counsel present, and a motion to block the prosecutor's office from speaking to the media.

Judge McNeil will rule on the motions once the Lake County Attorney's Office can respond.

Butler could face life in prison if convicted of the three felony charges.

He is being processed as an adult, but his attorney wants the case moved back to youth court.

That hearing is set for December 12th.

Butler remains in Missoula's juvenile detention facility.

(November 19, 2012; link) Court documents state that Butler told authorities he retrieved a green-handled knife from the kitchen a few hours prior to the stabbing and had been thinking about hurting his mom and stepdad.

Butler said was waiting for his mom, Dacia Vollin, in his room with the intent to stab her, and at the time, he "wanted them dead."

Butler told prosecutors he ambushed his mother as she opened his bedroom door. He stabbed Vollin in the throat with the knife. She cried out for help, and Butler continued to stab Vollin.

John Edward Fisher, 51, Butler's stepdad, came to the aid of Vollin, when Butler went to the kitchen to retrieve another knife, a long meat-cutting knife.

Butler than proceeded to stab his stepfather with the long knife, until the blade broke off. Butler then pulled out a pocket-knife.

A third person, Theodore Perry, came to the bedroom, where Butler stabbed him once with the pocket-knife.

Court documents state that Butler stabbed Fisher again, before Perry tackled Butler to the floor.

Butler then ran out of the home and was later arrested in Arlee.

  • Story Photo
  • Story Photo
  • Story Photo
  • Story Thumbnail
  • Story Thumbnail
  • Story Thumbnail


»Topics in this article