Addison identified as suspect who was fatally shot by officer - KRTV News in Great Falls, Montana

Addison identified as suspect who was fatally shot by officer

Posted: Updated:

(GREAT FALLS) Thomas Jordan Addison of Great Falls, 25 years old, has been identified as the man who was shot and killed by a Great Falls police officer on Monday. 

R. J. (Dick) Brown, Fergus County Coroner, released the name on Wednesday afternoon.

The body was taken to Billings for an autopsy by the Montana State Medical Examiner on Tuesday, as required by Montana law.

The Great Falls Police Department held a media briefing at 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday. GFPD chief Dave Bowen said that the officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, as is standard in such situations, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Bowen said that this has been a "difficult time for the officers involved and our entire agency," and that "taking a human life is something that we in law enforcement hope to never do." Bowen thanked the Great Falls community for their support and prayers

Brian Lockerby, the chief of the Division of Criminal Investigation as the Montana Department of Justice, said that in order to maintain the integrity of the investigation, no other details are being released at this time. 

Lockerby explained that the investigation will take time, as agents process the crime scene, interview people, await autopsy results, and confer with the Cascade County Attorney.

Officials declined to answer any questions, and did not indicate what kind of weapon Addison reportedly brandished.

Relatives and friends of Addison have been leaving candles, flowers, and other mementos on a spot on the sidewalk outside of the home.

According to the Montana Department of Corrections, Addison had criminal convictions in Cascade County for burglary and escape.

(TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12) A burglary suspect died after being shot by a Great Falls police officer on Monday night.

At about 11:10 pm on Monday, GFPD officers responded to a report of a burglary in progress at a home on the 3100 block of 9th Avenue North. 

According to the GFPD, the suspect was trying to break into a home, and ran away when officers arrived. 

The officers began chasing the suspect, and during the chase, according to the police, the suspect brandished a weapon.  

The suspect was then shot and killed by a GFPD officer.  

No officers were injured during the incident.  

A weapon was found at the scene, according to MT Department of Justice. Authorities have not yet said what type of weapon was found.

The name of the suspect has not yet been officially released, nor have the names of any of the officers involved. 

Investigators were at the scene conducting interviews and processing evidence throughout the day.  

Relatives and friends of the person who was shot have been leaving candles, flowers, and other mementos on a spot on the sidewalk outside of the home.

Agents with the Montana Department of Justice’s Division of Criminal Investigation are taking the lead in the investigation at the request of the GFPD, and are being assisted by the Cascade County Sheriff's Office.

Once the investigation is complete, the case will be given to the Cascade County Attorney’s Office and a coroner’s inquest will be scheduled by Fergus County Coroner Dick Brown.

We will update you as we get more information.

(1st Report, 2:38 a.m.) Suspect Dead In Officer-Involved Shooting in Great Falls

Powered by Frankly

© KRTV.com 2018, KRTV.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?