What to do if you see injured waterfowl - KRTV News in Great Falls, Montana

What to do if you see injured waterfowl

Posted: Apr 13, 2018 10:32 AM Updated:

Most Great Falls residents have had to slow down at one time or another for waterfowl crossing the road along the River's Edge Trail, or along the road near Gibson Park.

And every once in awhile, residents see an injured bird walking around the area.

While the sight of an injured goose has raised concerns, officials at Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks say they must let the cycle of nature play out.

FWP spokesman Bruce Auchly says predatory animals in the area such as bald eagles and foxes rely on injured waterfowl as a food source.

Auchly noted, however, that waterfowl - which includes ducks, geese, and other large aquatic birds - are federally protected, and any abuse that you see can be reported.

Auchly says anyone who sees a crime involving waterfowl - such as someone intentionally trying to harm a goose or duck - should call the FWP hotline at 1-800-TIP-MONT.

Montana Wild Wings in Kalispell is one of the only places in the state to rehabilitate waterfowl. If you see an injured bird, you can contact Beth at (406) 250-1070.

Powered by Frankly

© KRTV.com 2018, KRTV.com
All rights reserved
Privacy Policy, | Terms of Service, and Ad Choices

Can't find something?