The Shellrock fire north of Helena continues to grow as the 467 Trail fire south of Lincoln is 60 percent contained.
The Shellrock Fire is burning in heavy timber near the border between the Beartooth Wildlife Management Area and Sieben Livestock Company ranchlands.
The fire is approximately five miles north of Beaver Creek Road and two miles west of Middle Creek Lake.
The fire is currently in position to threaten a high-voltage power line that runs north-south about 1.5 miles east of the fire. The fire could threaten at least two ranch cabins and the historic Hump Cabin on Sieben Livestock Company lands.
On Sunday, 14 U.S. Forest Service smokejumpers were working on the fire with one Department of Natural Resources and Conservation engine crew and Two Single Engine Air Tankers.
The DNRC mobilized a DNRC County Assist (CAT) Incident Management Team, which started arriving on Monday morning.
The most recent estimate for the Shellrock Fire is approximately 125 acres although heavy tree cover, thick smoke, and active spotting make an exact size estimate difficult.
Plumes of dark smoke from the fire were visible in Helena on Sunday. The Shellrock Fire was started by lightning on Saturday, August 11.
The 467 Trail Fire is 60 percent contained with 50 total personnel assigned.
Firefighters are working to construct a fireline. A pre-evacuation notice remains in effect for residents in the McQuithy Gulch and Marsh Creek areas.
The fire, which is located in the Poorman Creek area, has caused the following closures:
- The Continental Divide Trail (#440) at junction FS Road #136 is closed to the junction with Stemple Pass Road (FS #601) on the north.
- The Helmville-Gould Trail is closed from the junction with Trail #487 on the west to the trail end at Trail #440.
- The South Fork Poorman Road (FS #4134) and Marsh Creek Road (FS#485) are closed.
- Forest Service Roads #485-Bl, #485-Dl,#485-H3, #601-L3, #601-Nl, #4133
, #4134-Al, #1848, #1884, #1884-Al, #1884-Cl, and #1888 are closed.
- The Granite Butte Lookout is closed.
- Also closed are all Forest Service lands west of the eastern Forest Service boundary, south of Stemple Pass Road (FSR #601), east of Trail #487 to Nevada Creek Road (FSR #296), and all Forest Service lands north of the southern Lincoln District Boundary on the east to the south fork of Nevada Creek following the creek to Nevada Creek Road (FSR#296).
The fire is 20 acres in size and began by a lightning strike on Saturday, August 11.
- Glacier National Park wildfires force evacuations and destroy structures
- Residents near 467 Trail Fire under pre-evacuation notice