The two people found dead at the Pelican Point Fishing Access Site near Craig on Sunday appear to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to the Cascade County Sheriff’s Office, the two people have been identified as Randy Rodencal, 66, and Alta Rodencal, 82, both of Lewistown.
The Sheriff’s Office stated nothing is suspicious about the deaths at this point in the investigation.
The cause of deaths appear to be accidental due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator.
The investigation will continue until the toxicology report returns from the Montana State Crime Lab.
Here is information from the National Fire Protection Association about the hazards associated with carbon monoxide:
- CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
- Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
- Call your local fire department’s non-emergency number to find out what number to call if the CO alarm sounds.
- Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
- If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
- During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
- A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
- Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use outside.
(September 23, 2018) Two people were found dead at the Pelican Point Fishing Access Site near Cascade on Sunday.
According to Cascade County Sheriff Bob Edwards, foul play is not suspected in their deaths.
Sheriff Edwards said the deaths are not river-related.
The investigation is ongoing and more details are expected to be released on Monday.
The names of those involved and the manner of their deaths have not been released.
We will update you with any new information.