NewsMontana and Regional News


Sheriff says small heater likely sparked house fire near Hall that killed a child

Hall Montana
Posted at 2:25 PM, Jan 22, 2021
and last updated 2021-01-22 16:26:43-05

HALL — The investigation into a Thursday house fire in the community of Hall in Granite County continues.

Granite County Sheriff Scott Dunkerson says that a small electric heater was likely the cause of the fire that claimed the life of a child.

"We at the Sheriff’s Office...extend our sincere condolences to the family of this tragic event and will keep them in our thoughts and prayers," Sheriff Dunkerson said in a news release.

The Valley Fire Department responded to the fire at about 1 a.m. on Thursday.

The child died at the scene of the fire. Three family members managed to make it out of the home, Dunkerson said on Thursday.

One was airlifted to a hospital for treatment of life-threatening injuries. The other two family members were taken to a hospital via ambulance.

Authorities are currently not releasing the names of people involved, nor the age of the child.

However, it has been confirmed that the victim was a junior high school student. Drummond Public Schools sent a letter to families stating that "Tragically, early this morning, we lost a student in a house fire."

"The accident will impact our community for a long time," the letter also stated.

A Crisis Response Team is also in place to help students.