HELENA — Lewis & Clark County Sheriff/Coroner Leo Dutton said that a 14-year-old Laurel boy died from complications from drowning on Tuesday, August 16, 2022.
Sheriff Dutton says Kaydn Bitter was swimming with family at the Lewis & Clark Day Use Area on the west shore of Canyon Ferry on Monday afternoon.
The family was preparing for lunch in the afternoon when they noticed the boy was missing.
They found him floating about 10 feet off the shore and pulled him from the water. Dispatchers received the call just before 4:00 p.m.
CPR was performed at the scene until medical crews arrived and could continue life-saving efforts.
Sheriff Dutton says medical crews were able to secure a pulse.
Bitter was taken first to a Helena hospital, then to a hospital in Missoula, where he passed away.
The Sheriff's Office sends its condolences to the family.
- Aurora Borealis possible tonight
- Two-vehicle crash in Great Falls
- Debate over marijuana in Great Falls
- New businesses in Great Falls
- Young man shot at Montana fair
- Artist creates mural for NICU at Benefis
- Details of 3 deadly crashes in Great Falls