A brick column reportedly collapsed at Lewis & Clark College, leaving a student dead and two others injured.
The college, in Portland, Oregon, called the incident a "tragic accident" and said it was working to contact the students' families.
"We are deeply saddened by the shocking loss of a member of our community," the college said in a statement.
According to NBC News, witnesses told authorities that several people were in hammocks Monday as the brick column fell toward them.
A 19-year-old man was identified as the person who died. The injured included two 18-year-old women.
The incident happened on the first day of the semester.
An investigation into what caused the collapse is ongoing.
- Traffic trouble at MT-Alberta border
- REWARD: gun store burglary info
- Recent Great Falls obituaries
- OVERDOSE: 1 teen dead, 4 hospitalized
- 'Pony Painting' event provides healing
- Man charged with shooting at driver