LITHIA, Fla. (WFTS) — A man died early Thursday morning after his vehicle hit an 11-foot alligator in the middle of a road and overturned into a ditch, authorities in Florida said.
According to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office (HSCO), a passing driver saw a car in a ditch and called 911 around 12:30 a.m.
The front of the victim's vehicle hit the alligator, veered off the road and overturned into a ditch, HCSO said.
The driver, later identified as 59-year-old John Hopkin, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The alligator also died in the crash, HCSO said.
- Flights from GF to Chicago will resume
- Obituary: James Allen Van De Riet
- Preview of new apartment complex in GF
- Great Falls chef nominated for national award
- FAIL: trying to drive across Yellowstone River