Neighborhood NewsGreat Falls - Cascade County


Understanding burn permits in Cascade County

Brad Call, the Disaster & Emergency Services manager for Cascade County
Posted at 9:42 AM, Feb 28, 2024
and last updated 2024-02-28 16:17:35-05

GREAT FALLS — In the video above, reporter Paul Sanchez talks with Brad Call, the Disaster & Emergency Services (DES) manager for Cascade County, about burn permits.

DES provides the following information:

  • Do not set fires during the period of this permit when the weather or other conditions make it hazardous to do so.
  • The permittee must have sufficient manpower, tools, and equipment at the burn site to control the fire.
  • The fire shall be watched by the permittee or his or her agent until no live embers or smoke remain from the fire.
  • The Burn Permit covers vegetative material only. It does not cover such items as, but not limited to:
    • Chemicals or Synthetics Such as Rubber or Plastic
    • Dead Animals
    • Household Garbage
    • Treated Wood

The following items are prohibited from being openly burned in Cascade County at any time or place.

  • Any materials resulting from a salvage operation
  • Automobile bodies and interiors
  • Chemicals
  • Dead animals or dead animal parts
  • Food Wastes
  • Insulated wire
  • Oil and petroleum products
  • Pathogenic wastes, hazardous wastes, trade wastes
  • Poultry litter and animal droppings
  • Styrofoam and other plastics
  • Tires, rubber materials, asphalt shingles, tarpaper
  • Treated lumber and timbers
  • Wastes generating noxious odors
  • Wood byproducts other than trade wastes, such as Papers or cardboard, unless public or private garbage hauler or rural container system is unavailable

For more information, call 406-454-6900 or click here.