The GFPD says that officers attempted a traffic stop at about 3:50 p.m. and the vehicle failed to yield. The occupants of the vehicle then got out of the vehicle and ran away.
Officers chased after the suspects on foot and when they found them, shots were fired.
One GFPD officer and one suspect were shot. Both were taken to a hospital with what are said to be serious injuries.
The names of the officer and the suspects have not been released at this point.
Officers are currently processing several areas:
- 1100 block 5th Avenue South
- 500 block 12th Street South
- 1200 block 6th Avenue South
- 1400 block 6th Alley South
The GFPD says that areas will likely remain "heavily restricted for an undetermined amount of time."
Officers are not searching for anyone else in connection with this incident.
We expect that the GFPD will release more details on Wednesday, and we will update you as we get more information.
(1st REPORT, 4:47 pm) The Great Falls Police Department says that officers are responding to a "critical incident in progress."
Initial reports indicate that two people have been shot - one law enforcement officer and one suspect. Both are said to have sustained "serious" injuries.
The incident began before 4 p.m. along the 1100 block of Fifth Avenue South, just north of Longfellow Elementary School. This happened after two suspects apparently fled from an attempted traffic stop by an officer.
The GFPD said in a Facebook post:
- If residing nearby please stay in your homes
- If needing to travel to this area please don't
- Follow commands of all emergency and law enforcement personnel on scene
No other details have been released at this point. We have a reporter at the scene and will keep you updated.
- Great Falls man charged for high-speed chase
- Dead woman found in suitcase by her son
- New location for Great Falls gluten-free bakery
- Havre teen recognized for good deed
- Recent obituaries on KRTV