GREAT FALLS — Great Falls will host "Flight Over The Falls," a military air show and open house, in July 2022, headlined by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team.
The entry-free event will be held at the Montana Air National Guard/Great Falls International Airport on July 23-24, and will feature aerial demonstrations both days.
The Thunderbirds last performed in Great Falls in July 2017.
A variety of presentations and static displays from military services and other organizations will be present, including a P-51, P-38, a Jet Truck, the Jelly Belly team and Precision Exotics.
The event website says: "This event will surely thrill everyone during its two-day span, and it’s free and open to the general public. Static military and civilian displays and equipment will also be available for viewing."
The event is co-sponsored by the 341st Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base and the 120th Airlift Wing of the Montana Air National Guard.
Master Sgt. Devin Doskey of the Montana Air National Guard provided the following details:
- Parking will open at 0800 in the south area and on 120AW property for civilians with an invitation
- Gates to the Flight Line open at 0900
- Opening Ceremonies at 1015
- Air Acts end at 1500
- Flight Line closes by 1700
- Visitors arriving from Great Falls direction can access main parking via Gore Hill exit or travel to Ulm and take the frontage road to the parking area. (Map)
- Visitors arriving from the Helena direction can access main parking via the Ulm frontage road. (Map)
- After the show traffic will all route to Ulm until such time that local law enforcement deems that normal traffic flow will effectively move over the Gore Hill interchange (Map)
- The Great Falls Ice Plex will be offering a Park and Ride option.
- We are encouraging private organizations downtown to offer a similar service if they are able to help reduce traffic congestion
- There will be no centralized shuttle service as in 2017
- Law Enforcement will be in place to facilitate traffic flow
- Estimating between 35,000 and 50,000 person crowd size for the weekend
- Shuttle services will be provided from the main parking area to the security checkpoint and also on to the Flightline.
- F-18 Rhino Demo Team
- Jelly Belly aerobatics
- Third Strike Wing Walkers
- A-26 Invader “Miss Kay” with Firewalkers Pyro
- P-51 Mustang “Dakota Kid” with Firewalkers Pyro
- Undaunted Airshows with Firewalkers Pyro
- Ace Maker T-33 with Firewalkers Pyro
- Brad Wursten Airshows MX-2
- USAF Thunderbirds
- F-15 C from Kingsley Field ANGB
- F-16 C from South Dakota ANG
- F-35s from Hill AFB
- KC-46 from Pease ANGB
- KC-135 from Fairchild AFB (ANG)
- C-130 H3 from MTANG
- TF-33 (Blue Angel)
- A-10 Idaho ANG
- UH-1 Malmstrom AFB
- HH-60 MTARNG
- UH-72 MTARNG
- CH-47 MTARNG
- C-12 MTARNG
- Bradley Fighting Vehicle MTARNG
- Missile Maintenance trailer 341 MXG
- SeaBee Warbird
- Rocky Mountain College trainer aircraft
- FEDEX Caravan
- Event will be patrolled by a Multi-Agency law enforcement presence
- First Aid will be available and staffed by members of the 341 and 120th Medical Groups
- Emergency Services will be available by our local health care agencies and Great Falls Emergency Services
- Aviation safety will be supported by the Federal Aviation Administration, Ralph Royce Airboss Services and the 120th Operations Group
- Remembering Skip Walters
- Magpie opens in Great Falls
- Crumbl Cookie coming to Great Falls
- Bison gores woman in Yellowstone
- 'Movie in the Park' on Friday
- Farmers Market begins Saturday