NewsMontana and Regional News


2 people injured in gas explosion at Billings apartment

2 people injured in gas explosion at Billings apartment
Posted at 2:59 PM, Dec 21, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-21 16:59:00-05

BILLINGS — Two people were taken to a hospital Friday night after an apparent gas line explosion at Billings South Side apartment complex.

Reponders were called to the scene at 9:41 p.m. at the corner of Third Avenue South and South 32nd Street at the Battleship Apartments, said Billings Police Lt. Brian Krivitz.

One man and woman were taken to the hospital with burn injuries. Neighbors said they lived in an apartment together with an apartment with a toddler, who went along with them to the hospital. The toddler did not appear to be injured, according to a neighbor.

All residents of the four-plex were evacuated. The Red Cross has been called to help with displaced residents.

Billings police, firefighters, an AMR ambulance and Montana-Dakota Utilities workers all responded. The power and gas lines were shut off about a half hour after the incident.

A neighbor, Michael Roberson, told MTN News that the explosion happened on a gas stove, although police have not confirmed this.