NewsCrime and Courts


Belgrade man charged with shooting at police officers

Posted at 2:19 PM, Dec 02, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-02 16:19:28-05

BOZEMAN — David S. Jackson of Belgrade, who reportedly shot at law enforcement officers from his apartment on Monday, faces a $500,000 bond after being seen in Gallatin County Justice Court.

Jackson, 39 years old, has been charged with attempted deliberate homicide, criminal endangerment, and arson.

According to court documents, two Belgrade police officers responded to a reported disturbance on North Hoffman Street in Belgrade at about 10:29 p.m. after a person called 911 after hearing yelling and the sound of breaking glass.

When the officers arrived, they saw Jackson begin throwing things out of a second-story window of an apartment complex. One of the officers recognized Jackson from prior contacts and knew the man lived in the apartment and often possessed firearms.

Jackson reportedly started yelling at the officers: “What are you going to f###ing do?” and “F###ing shoot me.”

Additional officers were requested to respond, and while the responding officers were waiting, a volley of several gunshots reportedly came from inside Jackson’s apartment, although neither officer could tell which direction the bullets had been fired at the time. The officers took shelter behind a patrol car and a few minutes later heard what they believed to be more gunshots coming from the apartment.

They then saw Jackson fire several gunshots from his apartment window, and at least one bullet hit the patrol car the officers were using for cover. Several other rounds could be heard striking the pavement in “very close proximity” to where the officers were standing.

At about 1:13 a.m. investigators received a call from Jackson's mother who told officers that she was currently speaking with Jackson after he called her. She reportedly told officers that Jackson admitted shooting several rounds, barricading his apartment door, and intentionally cutting himself with broken glass. He later told her that he had set fire to the apartment.

At approximately 2:31 a.m. Jackson agreed to surrender and was taken into custody. He was taken to a Bozeman hospital for treatment from his lacerations and then to the Gallatin County Detention Center.

Jackson's next court date is scheduled for December 24.