NewsCrime and Courts


Suspect in custody after standoff with police in Great Falls

Suspect in custody after standoff with police in Great Falls
Great Falls standoff, March 20
Standoff in Great Falls (March 20, 2023)
standoff in great falls - march 20, 2023
Shelter in place GFPS March 20 2023
Posted at 12:08 PM, Mar 20, 2023

Anthony Wills has been taken into custody after an hours-long standoff with police in Great Falls on Monday, March 20, 2023.

The Great Falls Police Department said in a news release that 911 dispatchers received a report just after midnight of a “disturbance” in the 600 block of Fourth Street South. A caller reported that one person had a gunshot wound.

Great Falls standoff, March 20
Great Falls standoff, March 20

Officers found one person with what appeared to be a gunshot wound that was not life-threatening, and identified Wills as the suspect.

At about 4 a.m., Wills arrived at residence on the 2800 block of First Avenue North.

Officers established a perimeter while the GFPD’s High Risk Unit was deployed.

Several schools in the area implemented shelter-in-place procedures as a precaution.

The GFPD said Wills refused to leave the residence for about five hours.

During that time officers attempted to negotiate with Wills and “deployed chemical munitions, noise distraction devices, and audible commands to comply.”

Anthony Wills arrested in Great Falls
Anthony Wills taken into custody in Great Falls

At about 11 a.m. Wills surrendered and was taken into custody without injury to himself or officers.

According to the Montana Department of Corrections, Wills was listed as having "absconded from Great Falls Probation & Parole."

The agency website says he has felony convictions in Cascade County for theft and criminal possession of dangerous drugs.

Anthony Adam Wills

There is no word at this point on what charges Wills is facing.

Monday's incident was the most recent of several gun-related crimes in Great Falls:

Recent gun-related crimes in Great Falls


FOLLOW KRTV: Instagram | TikTok | Twitter

Standoff with police ends peacefully in Great Falls