NewsMontana and Regional News


Bozeman man loses fingers in firework explosion

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 5.07.24 PM.png
Posted at 6:01 PM, Jan 03, 2023
and last updated 2023-01-05 01:11:47-05

Cameron Alverson's New Year's Eve did not go as expected when a firework exploded in his hand while he was celebrating, causing him to lose several of his fingers.

“I lit off two fireworks, and then the third one was like a dud and I went to check it and it just blew up in my hand,” he said.

Alverson was shooting off fireworks when one did not fully go off. When he went to go pick it up, the mortar shell exploded in his hand.

“I couldn't see anything and my hands were numb. I finally got like sight for like 10 seconds and then I see like one of my hands was missing,” says Alverson.

Once Alverson came to, he ran inside to get his girlfriend Teresa, and they rushed to the hospital.

“On the way to the hospital, I could just feel like going out, I felt like I was blacking out almost,” says Alverson. “I get in the car, the truck and then there's a phone charger in there, so I started to tourniquet my arm off with a phone charger. I start looping it around my own arm."

Alverson ended up losing his thumb, pointer finger, and middle finger. He was airlifted to a hospital in Salt Lake City and is uncertain if he will keep his remaining fingers.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 5.07.24 PM.png

Bozeman Fire Marshall Scott Mueller says you should never approach fireworks once they've been lit and make sure you are protecting yourself.

“If you were to approach it, and it hadn't gone off, maybe having a metal bucket or something to actually cover it to protect yourself," says Fire Marshall Mueller.

Alverson does not have health insurance and says he won't be able to work construction for a long time. His girlfriend has started a GoFundMe hoping for support.

“As many people can donate money as possible to maybe help pay for like a prosthetic in the future and like medical bills or anything,” says Alverson.


Teresa Cook