NewsMontana and Regional News


Man dies after driving off Billings Rims following canceled police chase

Posted at 5:58 PM, Feb 04, 2024

Billings police said in a news release on Monday that the incident began shortly after 3 a.m. on Sunday when officers responded to a domestic disturbance in the 2100 block of Custer Avenue. The 30-year-old male suspect left the residence before officers arrived.

As they were investigating the disturbance, officers were provided a name and vehicle description, and an officer in the area found the vehicle heading north on Zimmerman Trail from Grand Avenue.

Officers waited until reaching the top of Zimmerman Trail before attempting to stop the suspect's vehicle as it headed east on Highway 3.

The suspect continued to travel east without yielding to officers and then began to accelerate, which is when officers ended the pursuit "for the safety of the public, the Officers, and the suspect," according to the news release.

The suspect's vehicle continued east on the highway, and about a half mile west of Highway 3 and the North 27th Street roundabout, the vehicle turned south "leaving the highway and driving off the edge of the Rims."

We will update you if we get more information.

(1st REPORT, FEBRUARY 4) A 30-year-old man was found dead by police above the 1100 block of Rimrock Road at approximately 3:30 a.m. on Sunday, February 4, 2024, after he drove off The Rims following a canceled police chase, according to the Billings Police Department .

The BPD said in a news release that officers tried to stop the man, who they described as a "person of interest," on Zimmerman Trail and Highway 3. The attempted stop led to a chase, according to police.

Police have not yet released any information about what triggered the initial stop or what made the man a "person of interest."

BPD said it ended the chase as the driver increased speed and proceeded east down Highway 3. He then drove off The Rims, according to police.

Some of the residents near the crash scene told MTN News they were woken up by the sound of the crash, but were unsure what had happened.

The name of the man has not yet been released.

We will update you if we get more information.