NewsGreat Falls News


"Multiple agencies" assisting with the investigation into Amy Harding's disappearance

Posted at 2:29 PM, Jan 30, 2020
and last updated 2020-01-30 19:47:51-05


  • Amy Harding-Permann was last seen leaving residence on Flood Road on foot Sunday evening
  • Deputies, police, firefighters, dogs, a drone, and a helicopter are being used
  • About 185 volunteers helped search on Wednesday

The search for Amy Harding-Permann in Great Falls continues; the 34-year old woman was last seen leaving a house at 343 Flood Road on foot at about 8:30 p.m. on Sunday, January 26th.

On Thursday afternoon, Cascade County Sheriff Jesse Slaughter said in an email: "We are currently bringing in multiple resources from multiple agencies to assist us."

In order to protect the integrity of the investigation, Slaughter said the names of the agencies are not being released at this time, nor are any other details of the investigation.

Sheriff Slaughter said he hopes to release more information sometime next week.

On Wednesday, an estimated 185 volunteers showed up at Faith Lutheran Church after the Sheriff's Office put out a call for help in the continuing search for the Great Falls woman, who was last seen on Sunday evening. The volunteers were told to arrive before 7:30 a.m., and were given a briefing of the situation and the general area, and provided with search and safety instructions. They were then sent out in groups to cover designated areas. Sheriff Slaughter says that the volunteers searched all of the designated areas, and were released before 1 p.m.

On Tuesday, Sheriff Slaughter declined to release details of any possible criminal investigation, and stressed that at this point, it remains a missing person investigation. However, KRTV has learned that the house has been secured by law enforcement since the investigation began.

Sheriff Slaughter said on Monday that Harding got into an argument with her boyfriend John VanGilder at the residence. She then allegedly assaulted him before leaving the house and headed in the direction of the Missouri River, which is very close to the house. VanGilder told police she was not dressed for the weather as she was only wearing a long sleeve shirt and yoga pants.

He said that search crews were called out quickly because Harding was not dressed for the weather; temperatures at the time were in the 30s, with wind-chills below freezing. He explained, "At the point that our initial search did not find her, due to the weather conditions, her not being dressed appropriately and due to the environment and conditions we were in, she was a missing person."

Searchers and detectives from the Sheriff's office, Great Falls Police Department, Malmstrom Air Force Base, and rural fire departments looked throughout Monday and Tuesday on the ground, in the river, and in the air with a helicopter and drone. Search dogs are also being used.

We will update you as we get more information.

JANUARY 27: Great Falls woman reported missing
JANUARY 28: Volunteers needed to help search for Amy
JANUARY 29: Volunteers help search for Amy Harding