The University of Idaho is mourning the loss of four students.
The victims have been identified as:
- Ethan Chapin from Conway, Washington, 20 years old; je was a freshman majoring in recreation, sport and tourism management and was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.
- Madison Mogen from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, 21. She was a senior majoring in marketing and a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority
- Xana Kernodle from Post Falls, Idaho, 20. She was a junior marketing major and a member of the Pi Beta Phi sorority.
- Kaylee GonCalves from Rathdrum, Idaho, 21. She was a senior majoring in general studies and a member of the Alpha Pi sorority.
Officers were responding to a call about an unconscious person lying on a road when they made the discovery.
Authorities have not yet released information about the suspected cause of death for the four victims.
The four deaths are classified as homicides at this point.
"The Moscow Police Department and the City of Moscow is deeply saddened for the families of these individuals, fellow students and friends, and our community during this time. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to each and every person affected by this incident," the police department said in a statement.
Police have not said how they believe the four individuals were killed.
No one is in custody at this point, but police do not believe there is an ongoing threat to the community, which borders Washington.
Today, we’re learning more about the four @uidaho victims found dead yesterday in a home near campus.@CityofMoscowId identified the victims as Madison Mogen, Kaylee Goncalves, Ethan Chapin and Xana Kernodle.— Janelle Finch // MMJanelle (@JFinchTV) November 14, 2022
Below is a photo of Maddie and Kaylee, provided by family. @KREM2 pic.twitter.com/zsNTu9PEM5
The University of Idaho is offering support services to those impacted by the tragedy.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of our students as the Vandal Family mourns their loss," the university's president said in a statement.
- Election Results: Cascade County
- Obituary: Christine Rose Sheldon
- OPEN: New Chick-fil-A in Montana
- MSU versus UM on KRTV
- Community Calendar