NewsU.S. and the World


Child in custody after school shooting, teacher has life-threatening injuries

Newport News school shooting
Richneck Elem. shooting scene
Shooting scene at Richneck Elem. School
Shooting at Richneck Elementary School
Richneck Elem. School shooting scene
Newport News school shooting
Posted at 2:36 PM, Jan 06, 2023
and last updated 2023-01-06 18:38:00-05

NEWPORT NEWS, VIRGINIA - A teacher was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries and a child suspect was taken into custody on Friday following a shooting at an elementary school in southern Virginia's coastal city Newport News.

WTKR reported that, according to police, the suspect is a 6-year-old boy who is a student at the elementary school.

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew confirmed that the 6-year-old is a first grade student, and police believe the shooting was not accidental when it took place inside of a classroom at the elementary school.

Drew said, "All the children inside the school have been taken from the room with their teachers, and escorted to the gymnasium. They're all safe in there. They're actually in there with with counselors and officers. [They're] cutting up a little bit... It's good to see them laughing. We want to make sure that they're OK."

Newport News Mayor Phillip Jones said, "The police did an amazing job, they were here very, very quickly along with the sheriff’s office. We are ensuring that everyone is safe, we are ensuring that everyone is accounted for."

"This is a long day for Newport News. We’re going to ensure that everyone’s taken care of," said Jones.

A heavy police presence was seen at the city's Richneck Elementary School, not far from the large Newport News park and Newport News Williamsburg International airport.

Police tactical teams were dispatched responding to a shooting at the school at around 2 p.m.

Authorities confirmed that officers were sent into the building.

No reports of injuries to other children were released by police or city authorities.

Police said the teacher was taken to Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News.