BOZEMAN — An elderly woman died in Bozeman on Sunday from apparent carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning that also hospitalized a second woman.
According to a City of Bozeman press release, Bozeman Fire and Bozeman Police responded to 11th and W. Babcock at around 11:15 a.m. on Sunday for reports of a strange odor.
Responders found the two women inside and removed them from the residence. The release said they were likely experiencing CO poisoning from a car left running in an attached garage.
The elderly woman was pronounced dead at the scene. The second woman was taken to Bozeman Deaconess Health; her condition has not been disclosed at this time.
The news release said CO levels were found to be as high as 360 parts per million inside the residence. OSHA and the Centers for Disease Control list 50 parts per million as an elevated or dangerous level of carbon monoxide.
The death is being investigated by the Gallatin County Coroner’s Office.
The name of the woman who died has not yet been released.
Great Falls Fire Rescue recommends taking the following measures to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working, batteries have been changed, and the detector is dust-free.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor where a fossil-fuel burning appliance is located.
- Have your fireplace inspected by a licensed Heating and Ventilation Inspector (HVI) each year.
- Check that vents are free from snow-like those for your furnace, dryer, and stove-so that CO can escape through those vents.
- Avoid starting your car in the garage, as doing so can set off a CO alarm.
- AUGUST 2018: Prep for winter safety when it comes to heating systems
- SEPTEMBER 2018: Pelican Point deaths appear to be carbon monoxide poisoning
- NOVEMBER 2019: Protect yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning
- DECEMBER 2019: Valley County man died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning