MISSOULA — J.C. Penney plans to close six stores and a call center in 2020, the retailer confirmed to USA Today on Friday.
Among the closures is the store in Missoula. The department store, located in Southgate Mall, is expected to close in April 2020.
In a news release sent Friday afternoon, Washington Prime Group, the owner of Southgate Mall said prior to the JCPenney closing announcement they executed an agreement to gain control of the JCPenney site for future redevelopment.
Washington Prime Group plans to make an announcement in the near future regarding these redevelopment efforts, which are expected to kick off in 2020.
In the news release they said they are committed to reinvesting in Southgate Mall and maintaining its presence as the community gathering place in Missoula and the best retail destination in Montana.
Business Insider reports that the five other J.C. Penney locations slated for closure are:
- Tulsa, Oklahoma
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Akron, Ohio
- Valley Stream, New York
- Raleigh, North Carolina
Some more upcoming and recent business notes to pass along:
- Big Mouth BBQ will consolidate its two previous locations under one roof at the Hi-Ho Tavern; click here for details .
- True Brew announced on Wednesday that it plans open a second store in Great Falls; click here to read more .
- The Pier 1 store in the Great Falls Marketplace will soon close permanently; click here for details .
- A Five On Black restaurant is just weeks away from opening in Great Falls. The Missoula-based chain plans to open in mid-February at West Bank Landing . It is described as a "fast casual Brazilian restaurant." The Great Falls location will be the fifth in the state
- Chase Your Dreams, a virtual reality arcade, plans to open on February 1st at 316 Central Avenue. It's the brainchild of North Middle School student Chase Morgan.
- A second North 40 store opened last week in Great Falls. It's in the space formerly occupied by Kmart and Big Bear.